Chapter thirty-seven

Visnea
 
Antonius had been uncontrollably angry for three days, and the anger had made him bold. The Lady had sent him back to Visnea and dropped him, quite gently, on the steps of the Curia (the senatorial parliament building). Once he had worked out exactly where he was he had gone straight to the Imperial Palace and demanded an audience with the Emperor.
Pallatian was just east of the Wall, examining the plans for a new city, Transmuralis, set to be a major transport centre for his new cross-continental road. He had to cut short his visit and return to the Capital. On the way he got muddled messages about what had happened and his fears grew.
He returned to an exasperated senate and an over-excited populace. Protestors had congregated round the palace waving banners daubed in red paint – ‘Down with Ortians’ and ‘Crush the Easterners’ were among the more popular slogans. The Emperor hurried into the city and instantly summoned his chief-of-staff, General Titanius. At that point he got the full story, but could hardly believe it. After that there was little choice but to talk to Senator Antonius, the illegally-ousted proconsul.
 
They met in a council room in the depths of the palace – The Emperor, Titanius and Antonius. There wasn’t even time to find a higher chair for Pallatian so they sat almost as if equals. Then Antonius told his story.  Pallatian waited until he had recounted everything before he spoke, trying to keep any edge out of his voice. He did not intend to act precipitously. 
‘Are you certain that this crime of removal was committed by the Lady?’
‘Who else would have the power?’ asked Antonius, sitting bolt upright on the very edge of his chair.   
‘A witch?’ suggested Titanius
‘There were no witches, General, and Aurelian was passing on a direct threat from her’
‘But why would she do it?’ asked Pallatian, ‘she’s never interfered with a proconsular appointment before’
‘It was because of the old proconsul – she’s demanding her back’
‘Back?’ said Titanius, ‘she has no right to make those sorts of threats’
‘Exactly – I have been removed without permission and I have been physically assaulted. I must be reinstated and I will be seeking considerable damages’
Pallatian failed to supress his grin completely, although he tried very hard.
‘You’re going to sue a goddess? Is that your plan?’
Antonius’s anger, which was volatile enough to be directed at anyone, turned on his liege lord.
‘No-one is above the law, my lord. I demand my senatorial and proconsular rights!’
Pallatian knew that this was a bad moment but he was always convinced that there was some way out of every problem. He leant over and grasped Antonius’s shoulder, perhaps a little too tightly.
‘Of course, my dear friend, you will have all the recompense that you deserve. However, the Lady of Ortia is one of the Uchbenoi, an immortal being of great power. I don’t think, therefore, that the legal route will be very successful. But feel free to try – my lawyers are at your disposal… ’
Pallatian caught a look in Titanius’s eye. He had seen it many times before – it said ‘act like an emperor’. He tried again, struggling to drive the sneer out of his voice.
‘However, the question of compensation can be readily answered. Would ten thousand imperial sovereigns cover it?’
Greed and hurt pride fought inside Antonius, but pride and anger won.
‘The question of money is only secondary – I am a rich man and any recompense will simply recognise my loss of earnings and respect…’
‘We are still paying your stipend, I am sure…’
Antonius glared at this interruption. The Emperor realised with a shock that this elf, his choice for proconsul, really was, at times, rather petty and irritating. It was such a shame that so few of his citizens could see the big picture.  
‘Nonetheless, what I want from you, my lord, is action. You must send an expedition to conquer Ortia’
 ‘Conquer?’ murmured Titanius, ‘really?’
‘Of course – this is a clear breach of Imperial order. Such things cannot be allowed to happen’
Pallatian framed his response to this as slowly and as clearly as he could.
‘I have no intention of sending an expeditionary force against an Imperial city. However upset you may be it cannot justify some sort of retributive strike against our own kin. I need to know for certain what has happened before I make any decision’
He turned to Titanius.
‘Have we heard anything from General Aurelian?’
Titanius passed Aurelian’s letter to him. He spent some time opening it, as it was a good excuse to find some thinking space. He then read it just as slowly. He handed it back to Titanius without offering to show it to the senator. Titanius knew better than to read it just then, either.
‘And?’ asked Antonius
‘He says that the Lady has asked him to be Dictator of the city until Marthian returns. He then says that he has decided to accept the post in lieu of any other effective government. He awaits my instructions and promises to follow them to the letter’
‘Then write to him to tell him to stand down. And tell him that he will be court martialled’
Titanius, who had been sitting with his head slightly down jerked up suddenly. It took all of his reserve of patience and judgment not to speak, but somehow he remained silent.
‘And what is your charge, senator? Have you any proof that the general is in league with the Lady? From what you have said he served you well enough, even if he wasn’t pleased about it, and that he was simply passing on a threat. His behaviour appears to have been exemplary’
‘Maybe, but those two are lovers you know…’ said Antonius, only to realise that this was a bit of a blunder in the present company. The relationship between the imperial commander-in-chief and his chief military officer was an open secret, tolerated by most but excoriated by a few.
‘Meaning what?’ asked the Emperor.  Antonius shook his head vaguely but didn’t reply.  Instead he forged on with his main point.
 ‘The main point is that you need to send some sort of force to sort everything out – I insist on it’
Pallatian’s eyes blazed with irritation, but he resisted the temptation to throw this annoying creature into the dungeons below the sewers, those dank prisons specifically designed for those who dared to insult the Emperor. He knew that politics sometimes demanded forbearance.
‘Thank you for your advice, Antonius, but I think a more careful approach is needed here. Let me think about our options for a little longer and consult more widely’
Antonius’s anger remained his strongest impulse and it drove him to insolence.
‘No’ he said, ‘that’s not acceptable. As I said, I insist’
‘Senator’ said Titanius, getting up from his chair, ‘show some respect!’
Antonius stood up to face the general; he was a short, round elf, at least four inches shorter than Titanius, but just for that moment it looked like an equal match.
‘My family is already scandalised by my treatment, as are my fellow senators – I demand satisfaction!’
Titanius’s hand went to the hilt of his sword – it was a dress sword and it would have taken him about twenty minutes to extract its blunt edge from its scabbard, but the intent was clearly there. Pallatian realised that this was escalating into something very worrying.
 ‘And you will have it, old friend – but this is not the elven way, as you know. We should not hurry things that cannot bear the hurrying’
Antonius laughed.
‘Well, that will make a change for you…’
Titanius was still fumbling with his sword. Pallatian nodded savagely at him to stop.
‘I’m sorry, senator, I cannot authorise any action against Ortia at present. You will be reinstated as proconsul in time, of course, but I cannot afford to risk the integrity of Ortia – it is central to my strategic plans’
Antonius smiled.
‘I know’ he said, ‘and that is why you will do exactly as I ask…’
Pallatian wasn’t sure of the nature of the trap but it was clear that the jaws of one were opening.
‘What do you mean?’ he asked 
‘Well, let me see. For a start, I can muster the conservative votes in the senate to block funding for your beloved ‘big road’. You won’t be able to afford it unless the patrician families pay up for it. I know that a lot of the ‘strict moralists’ would be only too happy to put obstacles in your way’
  Pallatian smiled a cold smile of recognition – here was the political beast at bay.
‘Go on, proconsul, I’m fascinated…’
‘In addition, can I remind you that the principle of adoption pioneered by your illustrious, but not consanguineous, father has never been ratified  by the senate and that opening up the question to a debate and a vote might prove embarrassing, particularly as at least three of the senators are in the direct line of imperial succession.’
The Emperor stood up and lifted his hand. It was time for this to stop.
‘That is enough’ he said, ‘I will give you what you want. I will send you back to Ortia with a military force led by General Titanius’
Antonius looked as if he was going to say something else, but his anger had finally transformed into caution. He knew that he had gone far too far.
‘Thank you, my lord’ he mumbled, retreating rapidly. Pallatian’s gaze followed him all the way out and then lingered on the door as if wishing it were see-through.  He was as angry as he had even been, but knew that he couldn’t afford to show it.
 
They waited until they were sure that the senator was long gone, and then Titanius came over and squeezed Pallatian’s hand. He looked worried. Pallatian absentmindedly kissed him on the forehead.
‘Really?’ said Titanius, ‘You’re sending me to Ortia?’
‘Yes, my love, I’m afraid that I am’
‘But what will you have me do when I get there?’
‘Nothing at all – I want you take as long as possible to get there and then do nothing. Surround the city if you must, but no bloodshed. Spend as long as possible parleying with Aurelian and wait. Don’t talk to the Lady unless you really have to…’
Titanius looked concerned.
‘Will you write all this down?’
‘Of course, I will spell it all out in my orders – but don’t show any of them to Antonius – keep him in the dark as much as possible’
‘Understood– but what are you going to do?’
 ‘I’m going to find out what all the fuss is about’

No comments:

Post a Comment