Chapter thirty-eight

The Anchor
 
George, who had drunk the least of all of them, was dressed and downstairs first. The bar staff were all gone but they had left a wide selection of food for breakfast. He pottered around smiling quietly to himself, found the largest teapot in the pub kitchen and made a huge pot of tea.  He then began to fry up some bacon and eggs.
‘You still have the stamina then, John’ he said without turning round. John laughed as he walked into the kitchen. The purple shirt had gone to be replaced by a rather short white dressing gown.
‘That’s a good trick, Papa George’
The older witch turned towards him.
‘How to attract a greedy witch – fry some bacon’
John sat down at the wide kitchen table. He savoured the smell. 
‘It’s true – although ‘greedy’ seems a bit harsh’   
‘Would you prefer ‘voracious’?’
‘Not really – that sounds rather risqué…’
George grinned. ‘Well, you always were that too, of course…’
George flipped a rasher of bacon. John poured two mugs of tea and then cut some slices of bread. Outside, the sun had been up for a long time.
‘I don’t suppose we’ll see the two couples this side of lunch, will we?’ said John
‘I hope not’ murmured George, ‘in fact we might well not see Owen and Celia for several weeks…’
‘Thank the gods for that – them, I mean. Things looked very bad for a while, but it looks like it’s worked out very well. They belong together’
George nodded. There were now two cooked breakfasts on plates and he took them to the table, passed one to John and then sat down himself.
‘If you’re so romantic, my president, why haven’t you found anyone yet?’
John frowned. The shape of his breakfast had suddenly become very interesting indeed.
‘For the same reason that you live on an island with thirteen cats… lack of candidates and circumstance. Do we have to have this conversation every time that we meet?’
George was patient but insistent.
‘I thought we agreed that you should try to do things differently’
A brief flurry of irritation blew across John’s face. 
‘Well, I will, but no-one has turned up yet, and so the opportunity hasn’t arisen’
‘You live in Kinspit – surely your amatory preferences are no problem there…’.
‘Of course they’re not, but I haven’t met anyone. When I do I shall have a banner made with his name on it and I will parade through the streets waving it, but until then the point is moot’
George smiled sadly. He touched John’s arm for a moment.
‘Just don’t make the mistakes that I made. Thirty years is a long time to have to hide the fact that you loved someone’
‘I know… And I sympathise, of course I do… But at least you had someone for all that time even if you had to pretend that you didn’t…’
Bronwyn tottered into the room. She seemed to find each step forward rather painful and was holding on to her head. The two men looked at each other and sniggered. George reproached her.
‘Miss Preece, do you have a hangover?’
‘Well that’s a first’ laughed John
Bronwyn looked mildly affronted.
‘No it’s not – I have been tipsy before, I’m sure of it… And I’m not really hung over now… I’m sure… well, I think ’
‘Shall we make you some bacon and eggs then?’ asked John, ‘I can fry them in a big lump of lard…’
Bronwyn made a face. ‘Actually, I’m not really very hungry’ 
‘Have some tea, then’ suggested George, gently steering her into a seat.
‘It’s the first time I’ve seen you sing folk songs so loudly, too, Bron’ said John, ‘while dancing...’
Bronwyn glared at him. She wasn’t certain if that was meant as a joke and she didn’t want to find out.
They sat eating and drinking, and talking about the coven.  George made another pot of tea; Bronwyn sat nursing her headache. They began to emerge from the afterglow of the party.
‘So, is Celia quite well now?’ asked George
‘I’m not sure’ said Bronwyn, ‘but she must at least be feeling a lot better today’
John was sure that this must be so, but the urgency of the threat that Celia had articulated was beginning to prey on his mind. One more slice of toast and he’d have to go and whisk them back to Neman and safety. He could explain the details to everyone later.
‘She’s a very strong witch’ murmured George, ‘I’ve never seen a stronger one. To confront Kratos and come out on top – absolutely extraordinary…’
‘I know’ said John, feeling the need to act growing. Sometimes after something wonderful had happened it was best to get away and start on something else, just in case.
Stephen strode through the kitchen doorway dressed in an old tweed jacket and trousers and a scarf.
‘It’s still a little chilly out there’ he said, ‘but a bracing walk around the harbour is always a good start to the day’
The others, who had been tucking into their fried breakfast and who were all dressed in their night clothes, murmured their support for sea air and exercise. George laughed, but it was a friendly laugh.
‘You’ll have worked up an appetite then, old warhorse?’
Stephen looked down at the sad yellow stains of fried eggs and long worms of bacon rind sitting on the plates.  He shook his head.
‘I’ll have some tea and toast’
George found an extra seat and placed it next to his by the long kitchen table. He gestured for Stephen to sit down and then began slicing the bread. Stephen made noises that might have been implying that George shouldn’t put himself out, but he didn’t actually move to help him. Soon Stephen was buttering some thick toast and he and George were chatting. They had not always got on so well, but shared adversity had made them grow closer over the long years.
Tom and Kathleen appeared in the doorway; Tom was dressed and Kathleen was engulfed in one of Tom’s dressing gowns, it would have been easy enough to fit two of her inside it. She looked happy and sleepy, but he looked a little concerned.
‘I’m really sorry’ he said, ‘I should have been up to prepare the breakfast’
‘That’s my fault,’ grinned Kathleen, her pale face reddening slightly, ‘we were… talking’
‘Katy!’ hissed Tom
‘Have some tea’ said George, pretending not to have heard anything, ‘I love your teapot’
Tom bustled around, flustered by his shortcomings as a host. He walked over to the larder, opened the door and stepped inside.
‘I have some Crumbling Rydale here somewhere, John. Katy told me that it was one of the things you miss in Kinspit’
John’s face lit up. ‘It really doesn’t travel at all well’ he said. He turned to Kathleen, ‘you are so kind and thoughtful’
Tom brought out a huge slab of cheese on a rough wooden board and placed it carefully on the table. It was a white cheese that looked like it would crumble if you blew on it. Every other thought faded away – John had to crush some of the delicacy on to a hunk of bread and devour it.
‘I’ll have some of that too, if I may’ murmured Stephen.
They sat and ate (and drank) a second breakfast. It was a long one, as every time they thought the food had been finished Tom would bring out something even more delicious.  Finally, it was all over and John felt able to get up from the table.    
He had only gone three steps when there was a brilliant flash of blue light and a massive tremor. Everyone and everything was thrown from the table and all of the pots and pans hanging above them fell among them like metal hail.  John was the first to struggle to his feet. He made for the door and ran up the stairs, shouting for Celia and Owen as he went.  Where were they?
There were shouts and yells from below and above but no more tremors. However, John could now see clearly a blue flickering light coming from one of the rooms on the fourth floor. He ran towards it and burst through the door.
Owen was sitting on the floor, staring at a space just in front of him.  Faint blue clouds were curling around themselves and dissolving.
‘It’s taken her’ he said. John could see nothing where Owen was looking but there was a strong smell of rotting apples.
 ‘Who? Celia?’
‘Yes… she said it was coming for me’
‘What was?’
‘Something from the Outer Void’
‘What happened?’
Owen looked up at him with wild eyes.
‘She killed it but she fell through the hole it had made in normal space. I couldn’t reach her’
‘Where was it?’
‘Just there’
‘Can you see her trace?’ shouted John, his hands grasping in empty air.
‘I don’t know’ said Owen, beginning to sob, ‘I can’t tell where she is… she saved me and now I can’t see where she’s gone’
John had no time to comfort him.   
‘Concentrate. She knows the drill – if she’s still alive she’ll cast an alwa spell and you’re the most likely one to pick it up’  
‘Why?’
‘Because you love her the most, why else? ’
‘Does it work like that?’
‘Probably…I don’t know – just keep concentrating’
Owen looked at him as if he were trying to deceive him.
‘Look for the trace, Owen, focus!’
‘She must be dead’ he moaned, ‘no-one can survive in there’
John summoned all his reserves of courage and bravado. Sometimes when things looked terrible all that was left was bluff.
‘Of course she’s not – you can’t kill Celia that easily. Stay here and look for her trace’
‘But what are you going to do?’
‘Call the coven – there is no way that we’re going to lose her without a fight’ 
John was already off, running down the corridor towards the stairs. He was devastated. Celia had fallen out of the world, and he knew that it was all his fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment