Chapter eight

Ismay’s House, Kinspit
 
The next morning John heard Hardacre moving around at about eight o’clock. He hadn’t been consciously aware of Laurence’s return from Ponwy, but something had made him wake up early and hurry downstairs. He was worried – he’d assumed that his servant would stay in Eth overnight.
Hardacre was in the kitchen, preparing breakfast.  He looked up sharply when John entered. John’s heart sank – he knew exactly what that look meant
‘Have I set the clocks incorrectly, sir? I can think of no other explanation for your sudden appearance this early in the morning’
John frowned.  
‘I was concerned about you’ he said, ‘that’s why I got up as soon as I woke’
Hardacre looked back at the eggs that he was poaching. John sighed to himself – he hadn’t seen Laurence in such a bad mood for a long time. The eggs, however, looked wonderful and John felt immediately hungry.  
‘I have left my report in your office, sir – perhaps you could read it before I serve the food? I believe that it contains some important information’
John nodded and retreated rapidly into his study. He hoped that the report would explain Laurence’s foul temper.
 
The report was short and to the point. It laid out what had happened: it described Macrocephalos’s lecture as far as Hardacre could remember it and then the interventions of Vala and Braith.  John read it through twice and then put it back on his desk. There were a lot of questions that needed answering.
Hardacre appeared, as if by magic. He hovered in the doorway with the breakfast tray, showing no sign of giving it to John quite yet.  John’ heart continued to sink.
‘Who on earth are the Radical Numerologists?’ he asked, wondering if he’d get a straight answer.
Hardacre’s face was set in impassivity.
‘I have no idea, sir. All I know is that the woman who claims to lead them, Braith, saved my life, and so I am very grateful to her. Everything else pales rather into insignificance’
 ‘Yes, of course… but nonetheless…’ continued John, ‘we will need to address the question, later’
‘Perhaps sir, but not at this moment, if you don’t mind…’
John tried another tack.
‘What about the lecture, Laurence? From your notes I can’t make much sense of what Macrocephalos said beyond that he has a thing about prime numbers. Did you have any ideas?’
Hardacre allowed himself a small moment of visible irritation.  He clearly didn’t feel that this was the most important part of what had happened.
‘I think that’s a question for finer minds than ours, sir. I suggest that you pass my report on to Dr Mannings or Dr Protheroe… or, perhaps, most appositely, Mr Buckwhistle…’
John bridled slightly at this remark, but he knew that it had been expressed by someone at the end of his tether.  It was time to swallow his pride.  
‘I’ll make sure that it is copied and sent to all the council members. Perhaps you could do a quick run round the most likely ones, have a poke around…’
His suggestion dropped dead from his lips. The look in Hardacre’s eyes had killed it.
‘I have something important to say, sir’
John could only nod and wait.  
‘As you will have seen’ said Hardacre, ‘things were rather difficult in Ponwy and that difficulty was not an isolated incident.’
John struggled to combine a look of seriousness and concern.  He had no intention of saying anything else for quite a while.
‘Overall, I am becoming concerned…’ said Hardacre, very slowly, ‘…about the nature of the tasks that the council has been assigning me. This concern is not personal, as I am happy to endure danger and hardship for our cause in which I believe so very strongly’
John nodded emphatically – he knew that all this was true.   
‘However, I am rather wondering sir, exactly what your domestic plans are for when you finally send me to my death, as it seems so likely that you will. I ask merely for forward planning purposes’
John felt guilt surging through him like an electric shock.  He had known for a long time that the council’s use of poor Laurence was not only dangerous but also grossly unfair, but events had always overtaken them.  He was so well organised, so resourceful.
 Hardacre waited a second, as if reading his master’s mind. He continued in a much softer voice.
‘About this time last year, President Ismay, you promised me a break from my diplomatic missions so that I could deal with some of the more pressing household tasks…’
This was very bad – Hardacre only used formal council titles when he was exceptionally vexed.
‘Do you remember that, sir?’
John nodded pathetically. 
 ‘…Since then I have been asked to assume an unusually burdensome set of diplomatic activities, travelling far and wide and undertaking very varied tasks. Consequently, and through no fault of mine, we have periodically been left here in this house with what can only be described as utter domestic chaos’
Hardacre paused for effect.  His face suggested the most severe possible consequences.
 ‘I have seen inside your wardrobe, sir – and at present there are at least three unstarched shirts hanging there. ’    
‘I know, I know…’ said John, hanging his head. He couldn’t help but laugh inside, however.
‘In addition, the gardener has taken it upon himself to undertake “independent” activities in the shrubberies. I can scarcely pass into the garden without fearing for my entire landscape plan’
John shook his head. He’d long ago learned that however petty and strange Hardacre’s obsessions might appear, they really had to be taken seriously. Also, there was a kernel of truth hidden here – John couldn’t afford to let his household standards slip – they were part of his status in Kinspit.
‘I’m so sorry, Laurence. I will have words with him’ 
 ‘Good’ said Hardacre, ‘but, in fact, that isn’t my main point’
‘I know’ said John, wearily.
Hardacre straightened to his full height. 
‘So… I am informing you that from this day forward and for an indefinite period, I will be undertaking no diplomatic activities outside the boundary of Kinspit, regardless of how important my intervention appears to be to others. I plan to get the house and garden in order. In addition, I intend, with your permission, to find an apprentice to work under me and train him here in domestic service to a high standard. If then I am required to undertake any diplomatic missions, should any arise subsequently, I can perform them without constant fear of imminent catastrophe’
‘What about Simkins?’ asked John
Hardacre shook his head to indicate that this suggestion was unworthy of any words. He finally put John’s breakfast tray on the desk. ‘There are many other much younger and far better qualified witches who can do these ‘diplomatic’ jobs, sir. I’m sure that they are queuing up for the opportunity’
‘But…’ began John
Laurence raised a hand to stop him. 
‘My mind is made up, sir. You will have to make alternative arrangements’
He turned and walked briskly out of the door.
‘If you need me I will be cobwebbing the billiards room’, he said, as he disappeared from view.  
John looked down at the beautifully poached eggs on his plate. He no longer felt very hungry at all.    

No comments:

Post a Comment