Chapter nineteen

The Bay of Galene
 
They slipped out to sea at four in the morning, leaving quietly just before dawn along with all of the other fishing boats. They had no desire to attract any unnecessary attention.  They had packed a minimum amount of provisions, along with some army supplies, including two short swords and two bows. Potentilla had insisted that they take the weapons.
Captain Boris sailed out to the fishing grounds and then kept going. Three hours out of port and they were alone, crossing the wide bay. The wind was gusting south-easterly and they tacked north.
Boris had cleared out three store room areas and converted them into cabins. They were reasonably roomy but suffered from a pervasive smell of fish. Dom took the smallest cabin, Viola and Potentilla shared another one, and Boris was in the largest with his first mate, Ivor. Kath hid down in the darkest part of the hold and refused to come out. This was fine by everyone else; she was not on her best behaviour. They gave her a mattress and some dry rations.   
The day was sunny and Potentilla, with no obvious duties to perform, peeled off her top and lay down to sunbathe, choosing a patch of the deck where Dom could clearly see her. Viola, who thought this was both too obvious and slightly unseemly, thought briefly about saying something to her, but she had no real idea how to broach the subject or what she would say. Fortunately Dom was studiously ignoring her, with his head in his mage’s textbook, which, in half-hearted attempt at secrecy, he had covered in thick brown paper. He had noticed her, of course, and would occasionally shoot her the most surreptitious of glances. She was lying half-asleep on her front and there was a small but significant part of his mind that was really hoping that she’d turn over.  
Eventually the skipper needed Dom and Ivor’s help with the rigging and he was relieved to be able to escape the elf’s strange, indirect, attention. He knew very well that if Potentilla ever did try to seduce him that he would be completely unable to resist; she held a strange, almost hypnotic, attraction for him. He had no idea, however, whether he wanted this to happen or not.  One thing was certain – he had no intention of encouraging her in any way:  this really would have to be her idea.
***
The moon was full and it filled the boat with light. Viola was unable to sleep – it was impossible to escape the radiance except down in the hold, where Kath was fretting and grumbling. Everywhere else seemed to have portholes or cracks and spaces, which let the light bleed in.  She clambered up to the deck. Dom was sitting on a barrel and staring out to sea.
‘Beautiful night, isn’t it?’ she said, softly, as she approached him.
Dom jumped up and looked round at her. 
 ‘Don’t do that!’ he said, ‘I thought everyone had gone to sleep’
‘Well, Lieutenant Potentilla has – I have no idea about Kath – and I think the skipper has too’
‘But not you…’
‘The moon’s too bright…’
‘Make the most of it – it’s very dark out here without it’
Viola pulled a barrel across to where he was sitting. She sat down carefully – she was very grateful that the sea was so calm; she was certain that she would succumb to seasickness with even a little more swell. She stared out to where he had been looking.
‘What were you looking at?’ she asked
‘Nothing… and everything, I suppose’
Viola considered this.
‘This is the first time I have ever been entirely surrounded by sea…’
Dom smiled in the half-light.
‘So, what do you make of it, major?’
Viola was taken aback. ‘Major?’ she thought, ‘what an odd thing to be called’. It still didn’t sound right at all, and certainly not here. She shook her head.
‘Please don’t call me that’ she whispered
Dom tried to make out her expression but it was hard to read.
‘Umm – right… what should I call you then?’ he asked
‘Call me Viola’ she said, after a moment’s thought, ‘after all, this isn’t a military mission’
‘Well, it is a much nicer name than ‘Major’’ he said, grinning.
‘Yes, I definitely agree with that. I’ve never really got used to it…’
Dom wasn’t really sure what this last comment meant, but this certainly seemed like progress. Now it was time to move on.
‘You didn’t answer my question’
‘About the sea, you mean?’
‘Yes…what do you think of it?’
Viola looked out over the moon-dipped sea.  She took so long to respond that for a second Dom thought she must have dropped off.
‘I’m not really sure – it seems to go on forever,’ she finally said, ‘and I find that both comforting and disquieting. Out here, in this moonlight – there’s nothing to get in your way but also nothing to prevent an endless drift…’
Viola laughed nervously.
‘That must sound a bit mad…’ she said, ‘…I had no idea what to expect’
Dom wanted to ask ‘isn’t that what all of life feels like?’, but he stopped himself.
‘I’ve always loved the sea’ he said, instead, ‘but I suppose that it takes some getting used to’
There was a beat of time. Dom got up and walked over to the edge of the boat, which was only a few steps away. He leant over and peered down. Viola stood up and cautiously made her way over to him. When she looked over the gunwale she could see their faces, murky and pale in the glassy water.  
‘What can you see?’ she asked, but he didn’t answer.  The wind picked up slightly and, as if from nowhere, clouds began to crawl across the star-freckled sky.
Dom turned away from the edge and went back to sit on his barrel. Viola waited a few moments and then re-joined him.  They sat in silence as the clouds began to gang up on the moon. Slowly the light began to fail.
‘Do you miss Ortia?’
‘Yes’ she sighed, ‘all of the time’
‘Do you dream about it?’ he asked, ‘when I was in Amansk I would dream of the sea constantly…’
 Viola froze – why was he asking her about her dreams? For a second, she felt almost guilty.
‘My dreams are often a bit strange’ she said, softly, ‘like the one that showed me the fire snakes…’
Dom had to strain to hear what she was saying. He hadn’t expected this strange change in the conversation at all.
‘You have the gift of prophesy?’ he asked, warily, ‘Is that what you mean?’
Viola wished that the moon had not gone away and that she could still see his face.
‘I have no idea’ she whispered, ‘but I hope not…’
‘But your dreams; aren’t they prophesises?’
The night had turned cold but sweat was beginning to form on Viola’s brow.  So, what were her dreams?
‘They’re not prophesises, they’re messages’
‘Messages? What do you mean? Messages from whom?’
 Viola shook her head in the gloom.
‘I can’t say… I mean I won’t say… I mean…’
Her voice trailed off.  Dom could feel the tension between them build. This was obviously something that he should not pursue too far, however intriguing it was.
‘You don’t have to tell me… I really don’t need to know…’
Viola relaxed a little, but part of her needed to say something more. She suddenly felt very tired and for a second she was unsure of whether she was thinking or speaking.  Her words seemed to hover in the darkness.
‘She has always talked to me…’
Dom remained silent. More than anything else he wanted to ask ‘who has?’ but he resisted. Viola’s voice sank down again to a tiny murmur.
‘But why has she chosen me? I’m no-one and I live in the middle of nowhere…’
Dom waited but Viola said nothing more. They both shivered in the freshening wind; all traces of the moonlight had gone.
‘I need my bed’ said Dom, getting up, ‘and I think perhaps that you do too’
‘What was I saying?’ asked Viola, bewildered. She felt in a strange way as if she had been trying to betray herself.
‘You were mumbling something’ said Dom, deploying a small white lie, ‘but I really couldn’t make out what it was…’
Dom heard her sigh of relief. For a moment he was unsure whether he was pleased that he’d fooled her or pleased that he had soothed her feelings. ‘I’d make a very bad real spy’ he thought to himself with satisfaction, ‘but fortunately my spying days are over…’
Viola walked past him, still silent, and then made her way down to her cabin. The block of clouds had now raced past the moon and it was if a huge torch had been lit up again. Dom nodded a ‘goodnight’ to the resurgent moon and headed for his bunk.     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment