Chapter forty-two

Milestone forty-seven
 
Hardacre gently shook them off. The three huggers were concerned for just a second that he was going to admonish them, but instead, and perhaps despite himself, he broke into a small, quietly satisfied, smile.  He turned to Viola.
‘At your service, as always, madam’ he said, nodding slightly, ‘but I think we need to get away as quickly as we can. Can you lead the way?’
They bundled up as much of their stuff as possible and disappeared into the forest. Viola took them north, scrambling through the undergrowth, until they had put several miles between them and the defeated kidnappers. At that point the light had failed and they had had to stop.  They stood round in a rough circle, checking that everyone was there and unhurt. As they caught their breath, Viola had a moment of panic.
‘Where are the scouts?’ she shouted, ‘what happened to them?’
Akenopteryx appeared almost immediately from the undergrowth, hopping on to Viola’s hand.
‘What art thy command, my lady?’
‘You’re safe’ said Viola, ‘thank the gods’
‘Mayhaps’ said Akenopteryx, with a soft laugh, ‘but I think that thou shouldst thank citizen Hardacre first’
‘I know’ said Viola, smiling, ‘but if we started doing that we’d be here a very long time’
Hardacre frowned at her. He wasn’t a man who relished praise.  
‘To take a step back’ he said, ‘I think it would be helpful if you would tell me everything that has happened’
They sat in a circle under a large yew tree, the hanging branches protecting them from prying eyes. They lit no fire and their voices were hushed. An observer who did not know their full story would have found them an odd group – two elves, one hybrid, two humans and three small parrots. 
Viola explained the whole story from start to finish, from the dream through to their capture. She left nothing out – this was their old companion and they trusted him completely.  For his part, Hardacre asked very few questions. After Viola had finished he told them the story of his encounter with the naga in the KU library, and so they were all up-to-date. There was a brief pause while they all digested what they had heard, and then they all waited for someone to suggest a plan of action. Hardacre frowned again.
‘Did you receive my most recent mail papers, major?’
Viola’s hand went instinctively to her inner jacket pocket, where she had hidden his mail papers. The gesture made it impossible for her to pretend that she hadn’t received it.
‘Yes, I did’ she said slowly.
Hardacre narrowed his eyes very slightly as he looked at her.
‘I’m wondering, then, why you failed to reply to it?’
A struggle was going on inside Viola. On the one hand she wanted to be as honest as possible with her friend and helper, but on the other she burned to find the ancient city and to talk to the fire snake. Neither side, however, had won their battle quite yet.
‘I never had the time’ she said feebly.    
‘Well, that is unfortunate’ murmured Hardacre, ‘given what has occurred’
His expression changed not one jot but Viola still felt the thunder head of judgement above her.  She found nothing to say.
‘All I can do now’ he continued, ‘is reiterate my advice – I think we should all go home’
No-one demurred, even though something within Viola was muttering I can’t – I really can’t.
‘How are we going to get home, though?’ asked Dom, ‘The sea route is closed until Captain Boris comes back at the end of June– if he comes back at all’
Hardacre considered this.
‘We could summon a ship to come and pick us up, surely?’ he said, ‘Aren’t you the deputy governor’
‘Theoretically’ said Viola, softly, ‘but I’m not sure what the Governor or the Emperor will make of my actions’
‘So’ asked Hardacre, arching an eyebrow slightly, ‘what was your plan before you were captured?’ 
 ‘Go to the ancient city and have a look…’ said Kath. She hesitated – ‘not much of a plan on reflection. I admit’
Dom made an attempt at self-defence.
‘I think that’s as much because we feared the enemy behind us and so we thought it best to just keep going…’ he said
‘They didn’t seem like a very terrifying band to me’ said Hardacre
‘They had weird panther creatures with them’ said Viola, shivering, ‘like panthers, but with strange blue insides’
Hardacre’s skin pricked with apprehension.
‘They weren’t there when I arrived’ he said, ‘which is very fortunate. I would have not known how to defeat them’
‘They were pretty creepy’ said Kath, ‘and they didn’t look like they were from around here’
‘I’m sure they weren’t’ agreed Hardacre, ‘I think they probably had to be summoned, and by someone with more power than any of those thugs who captured you’
‘Summoned?’ asked Dom
‘Yes – from somewhere a really long way from around here, Master Shavosky – from the Outer Void’
Viola and Kath breathed out at the same time, each giving their own little cry of alarm. The parrots looked up at Viola expectantly. She didn’t attempt an explanation.  Dom had only a vague idea about what Hardacre was talking about, but thought it prudent to say no more.
‘That’s what I feared’ said Kath, ‘I remember John’s description of it…’
‘…and what happened inside the Wall’ said Viola, remembering the rift that had formed when they tried to destroy the guardian taint.
Hardacre nodded.
‘So who summoned them?’ he asked, almost to himself.
‘They said that their mistress would come at noon the next day’ said Dom, ‘maybe it was her?’
Hardacre looked across at Dom. The fading light made it hard to see either of their expressions, but Hardacre’s tone was unmistakeable – it was finely edged with fear.
‘That will almost certainly be Bea – one of our two great enemies, and I’m guessing that she gave your captors a device that summoned those pseudo-panthers, but only for a while’  
‘Who is Bea?’ asked Viola, not really wanting to know. Hardacre’s answering words were chilly in the summer dark.
‘That is a very long story. But in short, she is a necromancer, one of the witches who are willing to use magic to remain alive at any cost. They drain the life energy from living creatures and redistribute it into their own bodies and minds. They stay forever young while they force those around them to wither. She was once in a coven, a malevolent one; the coven that the Hybitor was formed to counter. There was a long war and it was won in the end. But she and her companion, who now calls himself Kratos, escaped. Their only interest now is revenge and destruction, oh, and, I suppose, to survive as long as they can’
‘Why would they want to do that?’ whispered Dom
‘Because they both loathe the elves and want to emulate them. They have lived more than one hundred and thirty years, but that is not enough for them’
‘What should we do?’ asked Viola, ‘can we resist them?’
 ‘No’ responded Hardacre,;’ but there’s no reason why they should find us again. This is a big forest and they don’t have the sort of scouts that we have’
 ‘We should stay in the forest and try to take the long way home’ suggested Dom, ‘if we go back to Tamarix then they’ll probably find us, and we can’t hang around here for another three weeks’
‘What do you mean by the long route?’ asked Viola
‘Turn north-west at the old crossroads, at about milestone ninety and then up to the Hinter – Amansk road. There was a road linking up to there once, I’ve seen it on Kath’s map. There are milestones here so we might find them all the way back to the main road’
‘How long will that take?’ asked Hardacre
‘Three weeks to get to the new road and after that we should be able to get transport back to Gorodnikov in quick time’
Kath pulled her blankets around her. It wasn’t cold but she needed the comfort. She felt their quest slipping away from them and she regretted it very much. 
No-one even considered asking Hardacre if he would teleport home – they knew that he would never abandon them before they were totally safe. In addition, he would need a day’s rest, and it seemed very unlikely that he would get that for some time.
The conversation wandered around the practicalities of the route – food, water, terrain, etc.  One by one they all chipped in. Eventually only Viola had said nothing. 
She sat in the dark considering her options. After only a few seconds of hearing Dom’s plan she knew that she wouldn’t follow the route. She had to go to the naga’s city, even if it was on her own. However, this route would take her in the right direction for another few days, and seemed to be the safest for the others. She sighed softly and spoke.
‘I think Dom’s idea is the best we have. It takes us away from the enemy and is under cover for most of the way. Once you get on to the main road I’m sure everything will be fine’
‘You?’ asked Kath, suddenly suspicious, ‘what do you mean? Where will you be?’
Viola took a deep breath.
‘I’m going to Klethropolis – the rest of you should go on home’
There was a moment of horrible silence. Hardacre had to break it.
‘Captain Viola – are you sure you are well? That seems on the face of it to be a rather extravagant idea’
‘No-one else need come with me but I am, I am afraid, compelled to go’
‘I’ll go with you, Vee – I haven’t got anything else planned’ said Potentilla, without a hint of apprehension.
Hardacre tried to ignored this and pursue the path of sanity.
‘What is compelling you, major? I don’t understand what you mean’ he said, irritation and anxiety colouring his voice.
‘I have no idea’ said Viola, ‘my dreams, perhaps, maybe Ophia? It’s all unclear; but my instincts are not. I need to find out about the fire snakes and discover what they are guarding. I am convinced that it is of paramount importance’
‘And I am too’ whispered Kath.
‘Really Dr Fielding’ said Hardacre, ‘are you sure that is the best course if you think about it really carefully?’
‘I am’ said Kath, now much louder, ‘when will we get another chance?’
Hardacre took in a deep breath and had one more attempt at speaking sense.
‘It’s potentially so very dangerous’ he said, as emphatically as he could, ‘and not just for you – it may risk everyone and everything. It is, to be totally frank, an immensely foolish plan and I can’t let you go…’
Viola noted that the end of this sentence was hanging in the air – it wasn’t an order. She smiled in the darkness. 
‘…alone’ she suggested gently, ‘is that the word you were looking for? Are you saying that you won’t let us go without you?’
Hardacre searched for a suitable answer to this that allowed him to persuade them to give up their quest but which did not break his unspoken vows of friendship. He knew, however, that in the end there was no way to stop them from going, and his duty flowed from that, however foolhardy he thought they were being. He had no idea what John would say when he found out, but for once he was grateful for his master’s general laxity and indulgence. He was sure he’d forgive him his desertion in time.  
There was silence again and this time no-one felt the need to speak. Their path was now decided, of course, for good or ill. After that Hardacre could do no more than calculate the horrendous risks ahead and wait impatiently for sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment