Chapter fifty-nine

Jacantha Ogham’s Mansion, Daramee, Babalia
 
John blinked to a courtyard by a sundial, a very clearly magical sundial. The dial itself was normal but floating over it, at about head height, was a bright sphere that provided the light for the dial. It all seemed a bit redundant as the real sun overhead was tropical bright anyway.  For a moment he was dazzled but then he recovered himself and took a step back. A young woman was staring at him in wonder.
‘I thought only Jac could teleport’
John turned to look at her. She was naked – now his eyes had focused properly he could see that there was a large pool in the courtyard, and that clearly she had been swimming.  She was slim and dark. Her long hair was tied up.
‘No, not just she’ he said, ‘there are others like her; as you can see’
The woman picked up a large towel and draped it around herself. She seemed interested but not the slightest bit afraid. He could only suppose unexpected things were always happening here.
‘Have you come to see Jac?’ she asked, smiling welcomingly.
He nodded, wondering who this person was:  they had had no news for so long.  Grown-up daughter seemed a reasonable first guess.
She turned to look at the far end of the courtyard, where he could see an open door and shouted ‘darling!’, which seemed to answer his last question; this was clearly no daughter. For a moment he felt like running away, but then he imagined Gwyneth’s face once she knew that he had failed. This was his burden – whatever pain was coming next he had to face .
A tall, big boned, intensely black-haired woman walked through the door. At first she didn’t see John because the model sun was in the way. ‘What is it?’ she asked, squinting into the light. John took two steps to the left and revealed himself.
‘It’s me, Jac’ he said, ‘unfortunately…’
Jacantha stared at him for several seconds. Her frown was grim.
‘What the fuck are you doing here, Ismay? We had an agreement’
The shorter, younger, woman looked shocked. It didn’t appear to John as if this were a place where that word was employed very often. It seemed that he was intruding on tranquillity. He forced himself to speak.
 ‘We are in dreadful peril. We need your help’
Jacantha marched up to him, and for a second he feared that she was going to slap him. She laughed a hyena laugh.
‘I thought you loathed me – I thought that you all loathed me?’
He  examined his former friend more closely. She was twenty years older but in almost every respect exactly the same – her inner fire still burnt strong and subtle and he still didn’t trust her at all. He had already decided to tell the complete truth. It was the only way to deal with someone who would happily lie even to herself.
‘I never loathed you, Jac, but I hated what you did to Bron. You know that’
‘I just took what was mine’
Anger began to fill his head. He had heard this argument before and he knew that the moment was gone, never to be salvaged , but it was still a monstrous wrong.
‘You stole Bron’s son; how could you believe that he was your possession?’
‘He was my son too… Unless you think that blood is all, and I know that you don’t. You had your role…’
John sighed and shook his head wearily, feeling the years drop away. They were still having this conversation; how could that be?
‘Blood is not all – but it means something; she bore the child…’
Jacantha folded her arms and stood bolt upright as if to absorb an invisible blow.  
‘You know what happened. We fell out of love and so one of us had to keep the child. I decided that I was best equipped for that role. Bron had too many other responsibilities. It was a rational decision and I have never regretted it. ‘
If these words had come out of any other mouth then a listener would suspect bravado or self-justification, but not from her. He knew that she meant every word of it and that to argue against her was doomed to failure. To never know your guilt is to never feel it, so, my, aren’t you lucky, Jac. He made himself move beyond this horrific nostalgia; the memory of an arrogance so huge that it crushed everyone in its wake.
‘That’s not why I’m here. We need you’
‘No chance’ she snarled, ‘I only help those that I love. You can whistle for it’
John leant forward and put his hand on her head. She was shocked and he was lucky. Her memory was rusty – she had forgotten what this gesture might lead to.  He spoke very softly and in Enchanter’s Rhylic, the base language of witchcraft.
‘I invoke the coven call’
He drew the binding spell out, the one that had lain dormant in her for so long; the one that bound her to her coven forever or until she willed its dissolution.  This was a call that she had to answer one way or another. 
 She backed away; she was pale and trembling.
‘How dare you – you have no right, you aren’t the coven leader…’ she stopped herself. ‘Oh yes, of course you are. Lowest common denominator – typeset another George, print and then business as usual. Is that really what the coven still needs – subtlety but no spine?’
He knew that he had to ignore this. This would only work if he focused on the call.
‘It’s a simple decision. You left the coven but you have never repudiated it. If you do not come now you will be lost to us forever. There will be no other call’
A look of astonishment crept over her face. The colour flooded back. She shooed him away with a wave of her extraordinarily long fingers.
‘You think that I still care? After all this time, after the things that I have seen and done? You must be touched!’
‘We need you – the coven is unbalanced and under threat. We need your power. We need you to help us confront and defeat our enemies’
‘You can’t just crawl back here and expect me to…’
John cut across her.
‘We have very little time – will you respond to our call? Yes or no?’
‘This is ridiculous. I’m sorry that you have had a wasted journey – you should return as quickly as you can, if what you’ve said about your great peril is really true’
John was beginning to realise that Gwyneth had been right after all – it was extraordinary but Jacanatha was going to say ‘yes’. He had given her so many chances to repudiate the coven, but she had not. She seemed unable to say ‘no’ and he was very surprised. Every second that passed made her acceptance more likely. He couldn’t grasp, why, however. To him her mind was a deep conundrum.
‘We need you to come now’ he said, ‘we have a collapsed array and most of our witches are unconscious’
A look of slow pain began to soften her features. She looked older and more fragile, but only by a jot. She glanced across to where her lover was standing, uncomfortable and bemused, then looked back at John.   
‘Don’t do this to me, I have a life here – I am rich and happy. George promised me that he would not invoke the call’
‘Well, I’m not George, whatever else you might think of me and my abilities’
She smiled, sly and angry. ‘This is Gwyn’s doing isn’t it; she always wanted me so much and now she hates me with equal passion. She has never forgiven me for my two choices, but she knows my limits. I look forward to telling her again just how cold, dry and unlovable her heart is…’
‘You must try to behave…’ he said, feebly, ‘that was so long ago’
She came closer and glared into his eyes
‘I am what I am – that’s all you get. You know that.’
 John smiled crookedly.
‘You always make that abundantly clear, Jac. Now come on, we must go immediately…’
‘I haven’t…’
He cut her short. He’d had enough.
‘You’ve got five minutes to say your goodbyes, then teleport to the Neman beacon’
He touched her hand, and whispered the spell that passed on the beacon trace. This might well be the biggest risk of his life, but they were at a dead end. He hoped with all his heart that Celia was well, that she would survive and find a way back to them. Jacantha was tactics, Celia was strategy.
He was just about to blink away when a young man with bright red hair came wandering into the courtyard. He was tall, broad and looked so like both his parents – her eyes and nose, his smile, their ginger hair. John’s heart jolted but he had to carry on. Well that’s one mystery solved he thought, grief and joy mixing inside him. He left, before things got even worse.    

No comments:

Post a Comment